YOU MUST BRING YOUR OWN MATERIALS
The Academy is a white spirit and turpentine free environment and only odourless spirits, such as Zest-it or Sansodor, are permitted on the premises. Students must provide their own spirits, which can be recycled for longevity.
We request that you bring 2 small jars (one with a lid, one without) to hold your spirit, and a few cloths rags for brush cleaning (such as an old cotton t-shirt).
Below is a list of what is currently required for the course. Please also check the ‘what to bring’ sections above. Your tutor will advise if further materials or equipment are required as the course progresses.
You will need to bring the following:
- Sketchbook, 4B pencil. Eraser. Pencil sharpener/blade. Charcoal. Putty rubber
- Two dippers/or double dipper
- Jam jar with lid.
- Only odourless spirits, Sansodor or Zest-it (the Academy is a white spirit free environment)
- Medium: Liquin Original by Winsor and Newton
- Large palette (A3)
- Canvas/board between roughly 16” x 12” and 20” x 14”
- Primed Paper (with PVA) or canvas/oil painting pad (A3)
- Paints: *
- Titanium White or Michael Harding ‘Warm White’
- Mixing White or Zinc White
- Cadmium Lemon or Cadmium Yellow
- Yellow Ochre
o Cadmium Red
- Magenta or Rose Madder
- Oxide of Chromium Green
- Burnt Sienna
- Raw Umber
- Burnt Umber
- Ultramarine Blue
- Cobalt Blue
- Ivory Black
* Artists’ quality paints are much better for mixing flesh tones. If you can afford an Artists’ Cadmium Red (or any of the other reds or blues) that would help. The earth colours are not such an issue.
- Brushes: assorted sizes of filberts and flats – suggestions: Pro-arte Sterling white synthetic brushes and the Monarch brushes
- An off-set palette knife (metal)
- Riggers: size 1 and 3
- Hog filberts; sizes 2, 4, 6, 8
Certain materials can be purchased from the Academy shop during shop hours. Please check in advance of your class if the item you require is available, as the Academy may not have this in stock.
The Academy has created an ‘Oil Painting pack’ which contains part of the basic materials necessary for this component. Please either purchase an academy painting pack following the link below or source your the individual items from elsewhere; http://artacademy.org.uk/evening-classes/materials/
An Oil Painting Pack (£75.00) contains:
A set of bristle brushes, both flat and round, suitable for either oils or acrylics
One tear off palette (9”x12”)
One palette knife
One bottle Zest-it (250ml)
One 10″x 12″ canvas board
One 10″x 14″ canvas board
Two 12″x 16″ canvas boards
8 Daler Rowney Georgian Oil paint tubes in: Titanium White, Lemon Yellow, Cadmium Yellow, Burnt Umber, Cadmium Red, Alizarin Crimson, French Ultramarine Blue, Coeruleum Blue..