|Course Dates||Wednesdays, 19th April - 17th May 2023|
|Times||6.00pm - 7.30pm|
|Experience Level||All Levels|
In this new exciting online Landscape painting course, artist Tom Voyce will teach you how to capture the essence of landscapes through painting. This five-week course focuses on a sense of place in the depicted landscape and draws on key topics such as composition, colour mixing, light and tone. Suitable for all levels, this course will encourage you to paint landscapes through ‘abstract realism’ whilst refining your skills on painting techniques and processes.
What level is this course?
This course is suitable for all levels. Students can move at their own pace depending on their experience, with as much support from the Tutor as they wish.
Choose a Beginners course if you are looking for a broad introduction to the medium you are studying. Students spend time learning the very basics of the taught medium, for example, how to mix colours, use different tools, set up an easel. Our Beginner courses are suitable for students with no prior experience, they tend to follow a more structured path than our other courses, ensuring each student receives the guidance they need from the tutor.
Choose a Beginner + course if you are looking to hone your skills, focus on a specific subject area and build your confidence. These courses are suitable for those with some basic skills in and knowledge of the taught medium, but still follow a structured path with guidance from the tutor.
Our Intermediate courses are suitable for students who have considerable prior knowledge of the taught medium or have completed a Beginners/Beginners + course with the Art Academy.
These courses tend to be less structured and instead are tailored to the classes’ needs and the direction they want to advance in. Choose an Intermediate course if you are looking to improve your skills and have more critical discussions around the work you produce.
Choose our Advanced courses if you have considerable knowledge in the taught medium. You are expected to be able to work independently and have critical discussions around your work.
Our Advanced courses include our Masterclasses.
All attendees must be aged 18 or over.
About Your Tutor
Voyce’s compositions consistently demonstrate an interest in the formal elements of composition: structure, perspective, shape and light. His paintings are accounts of fleeting moments within a landscape; the fall of light on a building, or the shadows cast by a motorway flyover. The strength in these pieces lies not in their faithful depiction of a landscape, but in their suggestion of a sense of place, of being present within a particular space at a particular moment.
What will I need
Students need to ensure that they have all the materials and technical equipment needed available from the first lesson.
The lesson will be facilitated through Zoom platform. Please ensure your computer/laptop/smart phone is set-up prior to the first lesson.
- Pencils (a range of softer and harder pencils)
- Sketchbook or paper
- Landscape reference images (the tutor will provide also provide some reference images, but you are invited to bring your own)
- Paint (acrylics/ oils preferably) – a good range of colours (at least a red, blue, yellow, white, sky blue)
- A range of brushes
- A ruler
- A painting wedge if possible (if not something with a sharp edge like an old credit card)
- A rag or cloth
- Quick drying medium if possible
- Water pot if using acrylic
We will not be held responsible for any technical issues that you might experience with your own equipment or connectivity. If for any reason (including technical) students are unable to take part, we will not be providing compensation. We are not responsible for any subsequent cost accrued from high data usage.
- Please ensure that at all times you follow our Code Of Conduct.
- Please note that the Art Academy cannot be held responsible for student’s technology and/or connectivity. If for any reason (including technical) students are unable to take part, we will not be providing compensation. We are not responsible for any subsequent cost accrued from high data usage.
- You will need to have paid in full before the first session of your class. Your place is not guaranteed until we have received full payment. Please book early in order to guarantee your place on the course.
- Please ensure that your mobile phone is not disturbing the class.
- To find out more about what’s going on at the Academy follow us on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. If you’d like to share images of your course, your progress or your finished work we’d love to see them! Please bear in mind you must have the permission of tutors, other students and models to photograph them.
- If you would like more information or advice on courses at the Academy please contact email@example.com.
- For further details please see our Short Courses: Regulations & Policies page.
Code of Conduct
We aim to foster a productive environment. We do not tolerate the following:
- Screen-shotting or screen-recording at any point of the course (without expressed permission from the tutor or owners of the work)
- Deliberate disruption of the session/conversation
- Harassment, bullying, intimidation
We have a zero-tolerance policy for harassment and bullying, which we define as:
- Negative comments about race/ethnicity, gender (including gender identity), sexual orientation, disability, age, religion, physical appearance, citizenship, or other protected categories (alt: Racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, xenophobic, antisemetic, Islamophobic and classist behaviour and language)
- Intimidation or threats
- Unwelcome sexual attention
- Any activity meant to convey or cultivate hostility
- Ad hominem insults or other attacks
- Encouraging the above behaviour
Please also avoid the following:
- Interrupting the tutor and fellow students without cause
If you violate the code of conduct we retain the right to eject you immediately from the lesson. Future participation will be discussed and you will be notified of the appropriate course of action.
Image/ Tom Voyce